Sunday, January 23

Cough.

Blizzard + Flu = Me at home for two days straight.

By this time, I should have been coming home from a weekend away with my friends, a weekend I have been looking forward to for a few weeks now. Instead, I'm wiping my nose every 3 minutes and trying not to breathe too deeply as it would cause a coughing fit that just isn't pretty at all. My body finally decided to give up on me on Friday morning, forcing me to be bed ridden for the weekend, and mother nature made sure I didn't even try to leave the house by dumping about two feet of snow on the ground. Fortunately, Matt covered by taking care of business for the last two days, which apparently has been good, even with all the snow.

We have been getting alot of positive feedback from people, but I always remember the one or two negative comments we get. One anonymous person said our bakery looked like an Austrian enema clinic (whu?) and another commented on how we (the baristas) were talking about the size of cake slices behind the counter... Too small a slice vs. too large... The person does have a point, I admit, but it is truly amazing the lengths people will go to to criticize you and your work.
In my defense, all I can say is that I put myself out there, put my life savings into something I believed in, and hopefully had a little part in making a neighborhood a better place to live in by offering it something it was lacking.

But you'll still get a customer who says the chocolate cake is "too dry."

So you fret.

Then you take a deep breath.

I have to remember that we can't be everything to everyone. I can do the best I can, offer the most I can, and hope that the overall response will be positive. You're never going to please everyone.

I think I'll need a thicker skin for this job.

On another note, our baker was in the Times today. She said something about CB, which got the owner a little up at arms. Matt flipped a bit. But in all honesty, we really had nothing to do with this article being written, it was put togehter without our knowledge, and if CB does indeed have an issue, it should be with the baker, not with us. We will see how this plays out as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home